We accept applications for Fall Quarter only. The deadline to submit an application is January 15. A complete application with all supporting documents must be received by the deadline. *PLEASE refer to the link at the bottom of the page for additional information from Graduate Division.
***The Mathematics Department Admission Committee is in the process of sending out Admission offers. Our intent is to notify all applicants by by April 10, 2013 .
A complete application must include the following:
- A completed UCI Graduate Studies application, including the application fee ($80 for US Citizens/Permanent Residents, $100 for all other applicants).
- One official original transcripts of ALL undergraduate coursework . The transcripts must be sent directly from the Registrar's Office at your previous undergraduate institutions directly to the Math Department (Foreign applicants must provide transcripts converted to English, and a calculated US GPA).
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Statement of Purpose.
- Scores for the General and Subject GRE exam taken within the last five years. (Applications accepted without Subject GRE scores. However, applicants with Subject GRE scores will be given priority.) No minimum score requirement. Choose Institution Code 4859.
- Five days after submission of your application, you may check the progress HERE.
and, for Applicants whose primary language is not English:
- TOEFL scores. (The TOEFL requirement for admission will be waived for applicants who have received a post-baccalaureate degree from a U.S. college or University). Must request ETS to send official scores to UCI (Choose Institution Code 4859).
More information can be found HERE.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where should my supporting documents be sent?
Supporting documents (transcripts, paper-based letters of recommendation) should be sent directly to the Mathematics Department at the following address:
University of California, Irvine
Department of Mathematics
340C Rowland Hall
Irvine, CA 92697-3875
For the following documents, please use the codes listed below:
GRE scores: choose Institution Code 4859
TOEFL or IELTS (if required): choose Institution Code 4859
I am interested in being a Teaching Assistant. Is there an additional application?
We do not have a supplemental application for Teaching Assistantships. If you are interested in a Teaching Assistantship be sure to indicate this on the Admissions Application under the “Application for Graduate Assistantship of Fellowship” section. Teaching Assistants must maintain a 3.1 GPA.
I am an international applicant, are there additional requirements to apply for a Teaching Assistantship?
International and permanent resident graduate students who are not citizens of countries where English is either the primary or dominant language (as approved by the UCI Graduate Council) who wish to be considered for appointment as a Teaching Assistant must pass the T.S.E. (Test of Spoken English) administered by E.T.S. with a score of 50 or higher or the UCI Campus Speak exam in order to appointed. There is no exception to this requirement.
Additional information can be found HERE.
Can the application fee be waived?
The University of California, Irvine may grant graduate application fee waivers to certain U.S. citizens and permanent residents with strong financial need. Foreign applicants are NOT eligible for graduate application fee waivers. Until the application fee has been received, or a fee waiver has been formally granted, your application will be put on hold and will not be processed.
Do you have a minimum GPA requirement?
University policy is that a 3.0 grade point average is the minimum requirement for admission to graduate study, however a lower GPA may be accepted by exception when balanced by other positive indicators of potential.
What areas of research do your faculty work in?
You can find information on our faculty research areas on the Personnel Page. You can access each faculty member’s website by clicking on their name. Most individual websites give detailed information on their research, and include listings of recent publications.
I am an international student. Do you usually provide international students with full tuition waivers?
Outstanding international applicants may be eligible for a full or partial nonresident tuition waiver as part of their admission award package. These awards are offered on a competitive basis.
Do you have a program in statistics?
UCI has recently created a new Department of Statistics. Visit their website.
Can you send a paper application?
The University no longer prints or accepts paper applications. All applications must be submitted online. Further information on the online application process can be found HERE.
*Recent Change: Graduate Division only requires one set of official transcripts and degree certificates of all undergraduate course work.
Information for prospective students can be found HERE.
For any further inquiries contact Donna McConnell.