Our graduate program applications are currently closed. The next application period will begin in October 2022.
We accept applications for the fall quarter only. A complete application with all supporting documents must be received by the deadline. Please refer to the link at the bottom of the page for additional information from Graduate Division.
A completed application includes the following:
- A completed UC Irvine Graduate Division online application, including the application fee ($120.00 for US Citizens/lawful Permanent Residents, $140.00 for all other applicants). This payment must be paid by credit card only; checks will no longer be accepted.
- Please note that fee waivers are available for members of certain programs such as Math Alliance, California Alliance for Minority Participation (CAMP), US Veterans, and students with documented financial need. More information can be found here: https://grad.uci.edu/admissions/applying-to-uci/fee-waivers.php
- Transcripts – Applicants must upload unofficial transcripts for all institutions attended since high school. If an applicant is admitted, official transcripts will be request only from the institutions where a degree was earned and we will direct them to mail it to the Graduate Division office. Foreign applicants must provide transcripts converted to English, and a calculated US GPA
- Personal History Statement – This will be required by all students. In your Personal History Statement, please discuss how your personal background—including any relevant educational, familial, cultural, economic, or social experiences, challenges, or opportunities—informs your decision to pursue a Ph.D. in Math. You may also discuss, if you wish, how you might contribute to social or cultural diversity within the department.
- Letters of Recommendation – We require three letters of recommendation. Letters must be uploaded digitally; paper LORs will not be accepted.
- Statement of Purpose- This will be required by all students. In your Statement of Purpose, please describe your career goals, your research interests, how/why you think the UCI Ph.D. in Math program and its faculty can help you to achieve your research and career goals, and what about your background and experience has prepared you to become an outstanding mathematical researcher.
- GRE – Official scores are required for the Subject GRE exam, taken within the last five years for MS & PhD applicants. Subject GRE scores are mandatory for all PhD applicants. PhD applications will not be reviewed without Subject GRE scores. MS applications will be reviewed; however, priority will be given to applicants with Subject GRE scores. The GRE General exam is optional to submit. No minimum score requirement. GRE scores are sent directly from ETS, choose Institution Code 4859.
*If you are applying to the Math PhD program, and you have obtained a Subject GRE score in a subject other than math, please contact Professor Enciso firstname.lastname@example.org for further consultation.
- TOEFL scores - Required for applicants whose primary language is not English. The TOEFL requirement, for admission purposes only, and will be waived for applicants who have received a post-baccalaureate degree from a U.S. college or University. Please send your official TOEFL or IETS scores to UC Irvine choose Institution Code 4859.
Additional English proficiency information can be found HERE.
International Students - International and permanent resident graduate students who are not citizens of countries where English is either the primary or dominant language (as approved by the UC Irvine Graduate Council) who wish to be considered for appointment as a Teaching Assistant (TA) must have a score of at least 26 in the speaking component of TOEFL iBT or a score of 8 or higher on the speaking module of the IELTS exam. This is a university requirement, the department cannot make exceptions for scores below 26 or 8, respectively.
APPLY NOW - School of Physical Sciences, Mathematics Department, specify PhD or MS. Indicate specific area of interest in the space provided.
To log back into your submitted application please go to: apply.grad.uci.edu
If you have questions, please visit prior to emailing the Math Coordinator and/or the Graduate Division: https://grad.uci.edu/admissions/applying-to-uci/frequently-asked-questions.php
For further math program questions, please contact TBD
If you need assistance submitting your application please contact: email@example.com
Please note that our response time my take long than usual, during the admissions and recruitment season.