This page presents a list of resouces available to mathematics students seeking scholarship, research or employment opportunities.
1.1 The UCI Scholarships Resource Center
The Scholarships Resource Center (part of the UCI Office of Financial Aid) is a campus resource established to assist undergraduate students access and apply for scholarship opportunities. The Scholarships Resource Center is located in the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, 102 Aldrich Hall. Personalized counseling is available; to make an appointment, please email email@example.com.
1.2 UC Irvine Scholarships
UC Irvine scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate a high level of academic achievement. Other factors may be taken into account: leadership positions, campus or community activities, work experience and, in some cases, financial need or other specific criteria such as city of residence, major or special skills. More information is available through the UCI Office of Financial Aid. To begin your search, click on one of the three following categories:
1.3 External Scholarship Opportunities
The UCI Office of Financial Aid has compiled a catalog of external scholarships that are offered through private agencies and organizations. The catalog is continuously updated and new scholarships are posted when they become available. Scholarships are grouped in several categories, please check everything that applies to you. For example, you may look under:
- Merit Based
- New Students
- Non-traditional Students
- Physical Sciences
- Transfer Students.
Some of the most notorious fellowships suitable for mathematics majors are listed below. (This is only a fraction of the available opportunities that appears in the catalog of external scholarships mentioned above.)
U.S. Department of Homeland Security Scholarship and Fellowship Program provides academic assistance during the academic year and summer internship opportunities for students in a STEM major such as mathematics.
The SMART Education Program offers fellowships and scholarships for mathematics and engineering students.
The Academic Competitiveness Grant offers support to first and second year for students in a STEM major such as mathematics.
The Goldwater Scholarship offers support to college students enrolled in a STEM major such as mathematics.
The Casualty Actuarial Society offers scholarships for college students pursuing a career in actuarial science.
1.4 Additional Resources
From the UCI Office Of Financial Aid:
- An online database of external scholarship opportunities.
- The scholarships library, with books and listings that contain hundreds of scholarships.
- Tips about scholarship search and application strategies.
- A list of scholarship search engines.
- Advice about writing donor thank you letters.
- Information on receiving external scholarships.
From the UCI Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) Office:
- A long list of off-campus opportunities for undergraduate of all majors, including scholarships.
From AWM (the Association for Women in Mathematics)
- Alice T. Achafer Mathematics Prize for Excellence in Mathematics by an Undergraduate Woman
- Morgan Prize for Research by an Undergraduate Woman
From SIAM (the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics)
- Information about fellowships for undergraduate students.
From AMS (the American Mathematical Society)
- Waldemar J. Trijitzinsky Memorial Awards for mathematics majors in financial need.