Master of Science in Mathematics

The Master's program serves a dual purpose.  For some students it will be a terminal program of mathematics education; for others it will lead to study and research at the doctoral level.  To earn the Master of Science degree, the student must: (1) satisfy course and (2) residency requirements, and (3) achieve two passes at the M.S. level among three Exams in Real Analysis, Complex Analysis and Algebra prior to the start of the second year.

To satisfy the exam requirements, students may take the Core Assessment Exams (offered in the Spring of every year), the Comprehensive Exams (offered in the Spring of every year and described below), or the Qualifying Exams (offered before the start of the fall quarter) in Real Analysis, Complex Analysis and Algebra. Students may not attempt to take an exam in a particular subject area more than 3 times.  Only one Comprehensive Exam can be used towards the MS exam requirement.

Some students may require additional background prior to entering Math 210 (Analysis) and Math 230 (Algebra). This will be determined by assessment prior to the start of the students’ first year by the Vice Chair for Graduate Studies, upon consultation with the graduate studies committee.  Such students will be directed into Math 205 and/or Math 206 during their first year.  These students may pass one Comprehensive Exam in the areas of Algebra or Analysis in lieu of achieving a M.S. pass on one Qualifying Exam that must be obtained prior to the start of the students’ second year.  Comprehensive Exams in Analysis and Algebra will be offered once per year in the Spring quarter.

The total number of required courses for the M.S. degree is 12, completed with satisfactory performance (B or better).   Students are required to complete at least one series of the following courses: Mathematics 210A-B-C, 220A-B-C, or 230A-B-C.  At most, one undergraduate course may count as an elective course, provided it is sponsored by rank faculty and approved by the Graduate Advisor.  At most, one elective course (of at least three units) is allowed outside the Department.

Students who fail to pass the required examinations within the period specified will be recommended for academic disqualification.

MATH 199, 297, 298, 299, and 399 may not be used to fulfill course requirements.

The residency requirement ordinarily is satisfied by full-time enrollment for three quarters immediately preceding the award of the M.S. degree.  When appropriate, a leave of absence may be granted between matriculation and the final quarters of study.

In order to confer the MS degree, one must advance to candidacy at the MS level, prior to the quarter in which they plan to graduate. If the candidate is not advanced before the beginning of the quarter in which all requirements are completed, the degree will not be conferred until the end of the following quarter.  Deadlines for submission of the Application for Advancement to Candidacy are published on the Graduate Division website, where filing fees and deadlines may also be found.

Master’s Exit Survey

o   All students earning a master’s degree whether comprehensive exam or thesis are now required to complete a master’s exit survey.  For those earning the MS degree via the comprehensive exam, the department will attach the verification of the exit survey to the final degree paperwork when submit to the Graduate Division.

Please note, only students earning a terminal master’s degree will complete the exit survey and receive e-mail confirmation to submit.  Doctoral students earning a master’s degree while working toward to the PhD will need to initially sign in to the master’s exit survey; however, they will not be required to actually complete the survey.  Instead, they will get a message on the screen saying they do not have to take the survey at this time; please print and submit to the Graduate Coordinator in order to be submitted with the MS final degree paperwork.  

Students whose degree objective is the PhD will only be required to take the doctoral exit survey, at the time they earn the doctoral degree.

PLEASE NOTE: Do not submit the MS exit survey at the time of advancement, it is submitted with the MS conferral paperwork.  You will be notified by the Graduate Coordinator when to submit the exit survey.

The Department of Education will not offer the MAT/Teacher Credential Program beginning 2016.  They will offer MAT + Credential.  MS Math Students who are interested in pursuing a teaching credential at UCI will need to formally apply to the MAT program and begin taking courses during the first summer session. 

For more information, please refer to the Department of Education: